Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Why I Run

I try to run 20 or so miles a week. I like to run in the afternoon/early evening, and just can't seem to get up in the morning to do it. I am about 6'3" and weigh around 200 pounds. That is above my ideal weight by about 20 pounds, and I am trying to get back to around 180. I haven't seen 180 in many years, but I ought to be able to get there with work, dedication and commitment. And I want to be stronger, too.

All of that entails commitment to the goals I have set out. I intend to track my status and share my thoughts, fears, and hopefully joys as I both get to a lighter weight and improve as a runner. I currently run around 8 minute miles in training, and 7 minute miles in a 5 mile race. That is pretty fast for someone my size (I think) and motivates me because I can feel the potential for more.

In some ways running is both a goal and journey. Of course, there are goals -- run the next race, better time, stay fit. But running is also about the process, the joy, the journey and what that does for me. Running makes me happier. Sleep better. Drink less. Laugh harder. Enjoy life more. And those things are more important than any 10K time.

On the other hand, running also requires sacrifice, dedication and commitment. Runners World send out a quote of the day, and recently it sent this quote from Jesse Owens "We all have dreams in life. In order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of dedication, self discipline, sacrifice and effort." And he is right. Whenever it is easier to blow off that run, take the easy path, it comes down to a choice, self-discipline. I don't always make the healthy choice, but I have to acknowledge the consequences of my choices. Hopefully, I make enough choices to achieve my goals. Stay healthy, be fit and stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Your Thoughts!