Thursday, February 25, 2010

Snow Patrol

Stuck in New York and waiting for another big snowstorm tomorrow!  When will this madness end?  It has been a crazy winter with no let up since December.

Because of the frozen tundra like conditions, I've been running on the treadmill a lot.  Which means a lot of Olympics watching.  I have become strangely interested in curling, of all things. I think CNBC has been turned into the curling channel!

Given the treadmill running, not a lot if interesting runs or running insights.  I have been obsessing about heart rates, maybe because that is the only feedback I really get from a treadmill run.

I am also not really training for anything.  The goal is to get in shape now, and run my first serious race in late March, a 15K (9.3 miles) in Central Park.   That should be a good benchmark.  Then over the next several months leading up to July 4, running in the spring races for the NYRR, just like last year. 

I made some good food over the weekend also.  Sole Meuniere (which turned out to be flounder pan fried in butter) and then a cheese and panko coated chicken breast on Sunday night.  One thing I have become obsessed with is Rick's Picks ( a pickle company) and their "mean beans" -- green beans pickled, with garlic and wasabi.  They are tremendous, and healthy too.  I ate a whole jar last Saturday.   And tonight I made a salad nicoise with the pickled green beans -- yummy.

Finally, a motivation quote (something I haven't posted in a while):

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death"  


Thomas Paine

14 comments:

  1. Good morning NY Wolve,
    So sorry to hear that NY may be in for some more snow. I know running on the mill gets to be old after some time but at least you can watch a little of the games:) My hubby also enjoys watching the curling. I love pickled beans and I just happen to have two jars left in my pantry:) I love the quote...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready for nicer weather! I'd even take 40!

    The mean beans sound awesome. Totally awesome. Yum!

    Love the quote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the weather problems and treadmill running. I hope for our sakes it changes quickly.

    I really enjoyed the quote, very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big Treadmill runner! Just put on your favorite show and let the time fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those green beans sound great, I like to roast them tossed in chili garlic sauce so they get spicy.

    thanks for telling me about your Garmin post, I read it, then went to look at the 405 in the store. You were right, and the first thing the salesperson said was that it was very sensitive to water drops, and can seize easily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lucky you're not running a marathon, because training in this weather has been downright brutal. Rain, cold, snow...when is it going to stop? I wish someone will forecaster the winter before you have to sign up for a spring marathon because I certainly would have declined the offer if given the chance! Treadmill it is for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, same situation here. Snow became freezing rain the past 2 weeks, which made for tough running, since I don't do treadmills. I much rather have snow than this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i sooooooooooo want some of those green beans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Junie B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm so jealous of your running in Central Park! When my husband ran the NYC Marathon in 2007, I got to go for a run there and loved every minute of it. I can't wait for the marathon when it will be me finishing in that beautiful park! I'm so sorry about all of the snow coming your way. I'm glad you are least friendly with your treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dread the "dreadmill," but at this point would be willing to run anywhere and anytime. It's unbelievable that NY City has been getting more snow than where I live in CT. If all goes well I'll be running in the NY City Half Marathon on March 21st, so I guess I'll miss running in a race that you're in by about a week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom Paine. You're brining back bad memories from college... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe your weather!! I was watching the weather channel this morning and my heart goes out to you guys...do what you can on the dreadmill and thanks for the great quote. Please post a cute picture of your daughter so I can see if she's as cute as you say(which I'm sure she is!)...

    ReplyDelete
  13. A race in Central Park would be really cool...one day I'll get there!! I know I shouldn't complain about the cold and snow we've had in Denver because it fails in comparison to what you've experienced ... but I am sooo sick of it. Denver never has snow on the ground for long yet this winter we've had it here since November. Hang in there!! And thanks a lot for your nice words of encouragement on my whiny chest fungus blog :). Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think all of us on the East Coast have a right to complain this winter...and complain loudly! It has been too much, too long this year. Come on spring!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Your Thoughts!