Monday, August 16, 2010

Short Memory

Yesterday was a pretty good day.  It started off with a run over my hill course -- the one I fared so poorly on last weekend.  Sunday, though, I felt strong, and, for the first time in months, I felt like I was running -- not surviving the run.  That is a good feeling.  I also ran without my heart rate monitor for the first time in ages.  I had misplaced the heart strap, so I just didn't have it.  It was liberating running without seeing that feedback -- just judging effort on perceived exertion and not on what Garmin is telling me.  I will do more of it in the future.  But, of course, now that I am done, I wish I had the hear rate data to analyze.  Maybe I should run once with the heart monitor on, but not have the data display while I run.  That way, when I get home I can have the data and see how hard I worked, and even compare that to my perception of how hard I was working, and not worry about it when I run.

Later in the day on Sunday, it didn't goes as well.  It rained, some plans fell apart and didn't exactly lead a healthy lifestyle at dinner (splurged on dessert).  One thing when I am on a fitness kick; I stick to the plan.  I do not deviate, even a little.  So, I feel bad about getting even a little off track.  This morning, that guilt, etc., brought to mind a quote from Emerson:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

So, today is a new day, a new week.  Begin again.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that quote. I definitely needed it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome.
    awesome.
    awesome.

    Loved this post.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Emerson! I was an English major in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a great run and have a new outlook - yay! LOVE that quote, LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great quote, as you know I needed one just like that!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Your Thoughts!