Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dragging

The last days of winter are the hardest for me.  It seems like winter goes on and on and on, with no let up in sight.  Growing up in Texas, I just accepted that winter ended in February, and March was Spring. After living up north for 20+ years, One would think my body has readjusted.  But it hasn't.  And a particularly long, brutal winter like this just reinforces that seemingly interminable cycle of cold, snow, gray dreary days.

On that cheery note, yesterday epitomized the effect of these days.  A long day of work, followed by a workout I was really, really not into.  For me, a workout is a gym/treadmill session followed up with a train ride home (and an intervening shower).  I really did not want to do it.  I wanted dinner, a glass of wine, something else.  But, as I keep an eye on my goals and motivations, it is these kind of days that are the days that build the foundation and the basics.  And if you let them go, you can't get them back.  So off I went, running on the treadmill, but I set it a little slower to just get through it.

I was dragging myself to the gym and through the workout.  And it turned out Ok. I didn't get that big "wow, that was a GREAT workout, and I am so glad I did that!" feeling.  But I was glad I did it.  At the end of the day, our training and base is the combination of tons of runs, and choices.  And the decision to run last night on a truly non-motivated night when it would have been much easier to blow it off, is the kind of good choice to make that I will be happy I made later.  Small drops add up to puddles, that add up to buckets.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Your Thoughts!